- - -
Being the avid social media user that I am, I can confidently say that my favorite, and most-visited, social media platform has to be Instagram.
Photography is one of my greatest passions and I find that, as cliché as it sounds, a picture can be worth a thousand words. For this reason, I could spend hours scrolling through Instagram and looking at pictures that catch my eye.
Even though Florence may be thousands of miles away physically, it is still close to me personally and I do my best to stay connected with this city as much as I can. I follow several Instagram accounts that help keep Florence relevant, and even though it’s just through a screen on my phone, I find that by following these accounts, I am able to keep my connection with the city stronger.
Whether you’ve been to Florence, are planning a trip there, or simply enjoy looking at picture of beautiful cities, I highly suggest you follow these accounts:
1. @GIRLINFLORENCE. Girl in Florence is a blog created by a woman named Georgette. Though she’s from Texas, she currently lives in Florence and blogs about anything related to the city. Her Instagram is filled with beautiful pictures of Firenze itself, events happening around the city, and her adorable dog.
2. @ITALYALEXANDRA005. Alexandra Lawrence runs private tours in Florence and her Instagram feed consists of some amazing shots of the city! The overall look/theme of her profile is very visually appealing, and the first picture below reminds me of walking through the streets near CAPA and Piazza del Duomo.
3. @_LOSTINFLORENCE. This account is owned by Nardia Plumridge, a travel journalist. She is based in Florence and her profile is full of some very unique shots of this city as well as from her other travels. The second photo below gives me extreme nostalgia since that’s actually the street I lived on in Florence!
4. @PERLESTRADEDIFIRENZE. This account is relatively new and it’s a bit different than the rest that are on this list. Per le strade di Firenze means something along the lines of “through the streets of Florence,” and anybody can submit pictures to this account for the chance of it being featured on their page. It’s a great feed with a large variety of photos!
5. @VISIT_FLORENCE. Visit Florence is an online travel guide and their account also accepts submissions for the chance to be re-posted on their page! This account features all types of pictures, from day shots to night shots to close-up photos to views of the whole city.
6. @IGERS_FIRENCE. This is perhaps my favorite Florence account to follow. Their bio reads: “Raccontiamo con le immagini la città di Firenze e tutto il suo territorio,” generally meaning: "We recount/narrate with images of the city of Florence and all of its territory." According to their website, igers_firenze is part of a worldwide group of Instagram enthusiasts.
While browsing through these breathtaking photographs of Florence may certainly lead to increased levels of nostalgia and wanderlust, it surely helps me recount and reminisce about some of the amazing memories I made in my favorite city.
Thanks Emily! Like this article and want to read more? Subscribe to our blog below!
PS - Follow @CAPAStudyAbroad too!