Alyeea Turner is spending the summer gaining professional work experience at Ruth Graham Illustration in Ireland, where she is interning remotely. Read more to find out about Alyeea's role and see what a typical day looks like as a remote intern.
Hello everyone! My name is Alyeea Turner, and I am a Flint, Michigan native attending Michigan State University as a senior this year. I am pursuing a major in Apparel and Textile Design, as well as a minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. This summer, I am interning abroad (remotely) in Ireland. My internship placement is at Ruth Graham Design in Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland. Ruth, the owner of Ruth Graham Design is a Donegal native and works as an illustrator, graphic harvester, and animator. Ruth designs illustrations for the sole purpose of educating, informing, persuading, and inspiring positivity.
Ruth Graham, owner of Ruth Graham Design located in Donegal, Ireland.
My Role at my Internship
I am interning as an Apparel Consultant at Ruth Graham Design. As an Apparel Consultant, my tasks include researching new apparel product options, looking into potential sustainable suppliers for apparel products, researching the apparel marketplace, developing marketing and content strategies, and creating blog content. Ruth would like to expand her illustration brand to include apparel, so my first project was to conduct research on fun, vibrant, illustrated apparel.
During the second half of my project, Ruth gave me the opportunity to conduct research for my own apparel brand, which is still in development. I was very excited for the second half of my project because I have always wanted to conduct research for my apparel brand. Unfortunately, I was unsure of how/where to begin. The first half of the project pulled me out of my comfort zone and gave me the push that I needed to conduct my own research.
My process of conducting research during the workday.
What does a typical day of work look like for me?
The average workday for me is as follows:
1. The night before, I always set my alarm to 6:30 am to ensure that I have time to complete my full morning routine. However, I also have a part-time job which burns me out, so sometimes I sleep in until a little after 8:00 am.
2. I wake up at 6:30 am or shortly after 8:00 am to complete my morning routine. My morning routine consists of exercising and/or practicing a yoga routine, taking a bath, eating breakfast, and relaxing to some music or one of my favorite tv shows.
3. Next, I either set an alarm, or keep a close eye on the time to ensure that I don’t miss my meeting. I then set up my workspace and attended a meeting with Ruth.
4. Once our meeting ends, I take a short break to stretch and relax to music, set my alarm for breaks and get started on my project while listening to music. Music is great for every aspect of my workday.
5. Here and there, I take short snack break. I try to take a break every 2-3 hours of working. I complete internship work 3 days a week, which is broken into two 6-hour work days and one 8-hour work day.
6. Once I have completed a good amount of work for the day, I stop at the time I set fill out my weekly tracker and enjoy the rest of my day.
One of many snacks that I eat during my snack breaks
Alyeea Turner is an official Remote CAPA blogger for summer 2021, sharing her story in frequent posts on CAPA World. An Apparel and Textile Design major from Michigan State University, she is remotely interning abroad in Dublin this summer.
Alyeea's journey continues all semester so stay tuned.