Globalization is driven by the integration and innovation of economic and cultural exchange amongst people and nations. It is shifting the balance of global political and economic power in unexpected ways from the acceleration of economic development of countries to reducing global poverty and enabling the emergence of new economic superpowers.
An ideological separation has emerged between those who perceive themselves as victims of transnational dynamics and those who have benefited from the global mobility of people. As CAPA students study and intern abroad now and potentially work abroad in the future, the outcome of their experiences and efforts will mirror globalization in action.
Globalization in Action Resources
Below is a list of recommended online talks, videos, seminars, films and websites that we feel give a greater insight into this topic.
Online Talks, Seminars, Videos
- Making Global Labor Fair – a TED Talk by Auret van Heerden:
- American Decline: Global Power in the 21st Century – A discussion by professors Michael Cox, Danny Quah, and Peter Trubowitz from the London School of Economics:
- Globalization – A discussion by Noam Chomsky:
- The Myth of Globalization – A TEDxAix talk by Peter Alfandary:
- LSE: The End of Globalization, the Return of History – A talk by Stephen D. King:
- Is Globalization a Bad Word? – A Debate on NDTV (India):
- Globalization – Singing Geographer Audio Episode 2: Professor Warwick Murray with Emma Smith on Radio NZ
- Hans Rosling: Gapminder – Globalization
- All TED Globalization online talks.
- Labor Rights
- The Levin Institute SUNY: What is Globalization?
- The Forum Project
- Theatre of the Oppressed NYC
Recommended Film List - Globalization
- Globalization is Good - Swedish writer Johan Norberg takes viewers on a journey to Taiwan, Vietnam, Kenya, and Brussels to see the impact of globalization and the consequences of its absence in this documentary.
- Secret City - This documentary covers the banking crisis in London and the role of the City's governing body, the Corporation of London. Excerpts pertaining to the city's relationship with globalization can be found in the documentary.
- Globalization at the Movies - A mix of movies and documentaries from around the world on the ties, tensions, and integration of globalization.