For a second year in a row, CAPA was proud to march in the Boston Pride Parade in June to celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community. We invited our partners, alumni, friends, and staff to march (and dance!) through the streets of Boston alongside our float. A big thank you to all who came out to support!
CAPA’s theme in this year’s parade was Love Goes Beyond Borders. Boston Pride also had its own 2019 theme as well, Looking Back, Loving Forward, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. In line with both themes, we’re excited to share some of the defining moments in LGBTQ+ history, both in the US and in the countries where we have our CAPA centers.
Are you an Education Abroad advisor? We know that LGBTQ+ students may face unique challenges when planning to study abroad, and that support doesn’t end once Pride Month is over. As such, our Pride committee has put together a few ideas to add to your advising toolkit permanently:
1. Add your pronouns to your Email signature.
2. Collaborate with the multicultural office on campus.
3. Consider developing and conducting inclusion trainings programs for overseas staff on the American cultural context of the LGBTQ+ community.
4. Pre-departure, make sure to direct students to in-country policies and local support resources for the LGBTA+ community.
5. We also recommend taking a look at NAFSA’s LGBTQ+ Student Advising Guide.
To further support our LGBTQIA+ students, CAPA has donated $500 to the FEA Rainbow Scholarship. We encourage you to learn more about this game-changing award by donating here.
We hope to see you next year!