Words by Katie Koss, a Physiology major from the University of Minnesota who will be studying abroad with CAPA London this summer.
- - -
While I have never left the country and have only traveled to 10 different states besides my own, traveling to London has been at the top of my bucket list for years!
There are countless sights I want to see, many activities I want to participate in, and thousands of pictures I want to snap! Therefore I decided to make a bucket list solely for my trip to London.
Photo by CAPA alumna Allison Knapp
1. SEE A MATCH AT WIMBLEDON. I became interested in watching tennis last year when my good friend urged me to go see a match with her at our university and I witnessed a rally that lasted forever. Since then I have signed up for a beginner's tennis class and fell in love with the movie Wimbledon. Therefore it is a necessity to witness a tennis match at the greatest tournament in the world.
2. GO TO A FOOTBALL MATCH. As you can tell, I absolutely love sports! I have never been to a professional football (soccer) game and I decided there is no better place than London. I can’t wait to see which team tugs on my heart sleeves and turns me into a crazy fan. Let’s see if it’s Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, or one of the many others!
3. WATCH A MUSICAL. While I am not good at it, I have always loved singing and admire people who can sing. I enjoy watching musicals. I have already seen Mama Mia and Wicked, but I am hoping to add to my list and see Les Mis and The Phantom of the Opera in London!
Photo by CAPA alumna Veronique Louissaint
4. GO TO PLATFORM 9 AND 3/4. I have been an avid Harry Potter fan since I was in middle school; I would be grounded from reading for staying up all night reading and not finishing my homework. It is safe to say this tourist destination is a must!
5. RIDE THE LONDON EYE. While I am not a fan of heights, it is necessary to experience one of London’s most popular tourist destinations. I cannot wait to tackle my fear of heights at 443 feet with the view of the London skyline!
6. VISIT STRAFORD-UPON-AVON. I am not a huge fan of William Shakespeare, but I have studied and read many of his plays including Romeo and Juliet and The Merchant of Venice. I want to see the home where Shakespeare lived and came up with his brilliant ideas, plus my eighth grade English teacher would kill me if I didn’t!
7. VOICE A CREATIVE IDEA AT MY INTERNSHIP. Let me start by saying I am beyond excited to have the opportunity to have an internship in an extremely popular and busy city! While I have many ideas, I can be insecure in sharing them, so this summer I hope to be comfortable and share thoughts when they come to mind!
Photo by CAPA alumna Alyssa Reimenschneider
8. ATTEND GLASTONBURY. Like I previously said, I love singing! I would love to be able to see some of the most popular artists in the world perform in their home country and say that I saw them live! Who could resist Adele?
9. VISIT THE WINDSOR CASTLE. I have wanted to be a princess since I was 5-years-old! I wanted to have the ability to sing and dance well, fall in love with prince charming, and have a fairy godmother. There is no way I could not make my childhood dreams come true!
10. START A BLOG. I do not particularly enjoy writing, however I cannot wait to monitor my growth as a writer and individual, while jotting down all my exciting and new experiences while abroad!