Words by Lauren Fontaine who is studying abroad with CAPA London this semester.
- - -
As I get ready to embark on a journey of a lifetime, I have come up with a list of things I hope to accomplish while abroad in London:
1. GO TO AT LEAST ONE CONCERT EVERY MONTH. I am a huge music junkie and have been to 45 concerts. My goal is to make it to 50 by the time I return home in May. I have already purchased tickets to see one of my favorite bands, X Ambassadors, in February.
2. SHOP, EXPLORE & EAT LUNCH AT MARKETS THROUGHOUT LONDON. I have seen so many pictures of markets in London, like Camden and Borough, and I think they are the cutest. I definitely want to explore and photograph these lively markets.
Photo: Borough Market vendor by Stephanie Sadler
3. HANG OUT WITH LOCALS. Part of studying abroad is interacting and connecting with the locals; I would like to try and do this as much as possible. Being that London is known for its pubs, it will be a great place to meet locals and learn more about their culture.
4. WALK ACROSS ABBEY ROAD (WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS). I have always wanted to re-create the photo of the Beatles crossing the road. It has become such an iconic image, and I think it would be awesome to get a picture of my abroad friends and I walking across it.
5. EXPLORE NOTTING HILL. As an avid photographer, I really want to go explore and photograph this area. I think the colorful houses in this area have so much charm and character. Plus, I’ve heard that the Portobello Market here is one of the best in town.
Photo: Colorful houses of Notting Hill by Stephanie Sadler
6. ENJOY HIGH TEA AT THE RITZ OR SKETCH. Although I am not a tea drinker, I think this sounds really fun. It would be another way to experience British culture, because high tea is a traditional activity that many Europeans participate in. Also, the interiors of The Ritz and Sketch look very unique, so I definitely want to check them out.
7. TAKE A BOAT CRUISE ON THE THAMES RIVER. This would allow me to see many of the iconic sights in London, like Big Ben and Tower Bridge. I have taken boat cruises in the past and have really enjoyed them, so this is definitely something I want to do.
8. TAKE A PICTURE INSIDE OF AN ICONIC RED TELEPHONE BOOTH. This one is a tourist must. I have a feeling that this will be one of the first things I do when I arrive in London, and I think everyone who travels here should have one of these pictures.
Photo: A traditional red phone booth by Stephanie Sadler
9. EAT LOTS OF BRITISH FOOD. I really want to expand my horizons when it comes to food while in London. I’ll definitely be trying all of the traditional British meals, like fish and chips, roast beef and potatoes, and English breakfasts.
10. BE SPONTANEOUS. While in London, I want to be adventurous and spontaneous. Although I know that some things will need to be planned out, I still want to have time to just go out and explore the city. I also think stepping outside of my comfort zone goes along with this, so I plan to try and experience as many new things as possible while in London.