Meet Kayla Sides, official CAPA blogger in Florence for fall 2016, representing the custom program from Norco College:
University: Norco College
Study abroad location: Florence, Italy
- - -
What are you most excited for during your study abroad semester?
I’m most excited to make Italy my home away from home. Of course, I’m extremely excited to explore and learn the rich history of that country, but the idea of living in and embracing another culture has me bouncing off the walls!
What are three of your hobbies and interests?
I love exploring, especially when I’m hiking. I’m also pretty attached to my camera, so I tend to take pictures of almost everything. For the last one… I would have to say spending time in cafés. I love everything about them – from the sounds and smells to the people drinking the coffee!
What's one personal goal you hope to achieve while abroad?
As cliché as this sounds, I want to blend in as a local. I hope to be decently fluent in the language as well as be pretty knowledgeable of history and cultural tendencies of the area.
What's one professional goal you hope to achieve while abroad?
I hope to improve my ability to connect with people of diverse backgrounds. Being able to understand and be empathetic with just about everyone is vital, I believe, to creating promising connections – both social and professional.
What can we look forward to reading about in your posts?
You can look forward to a lot of food reviews, exploration/nature shots, and my reactions to lots of art and architecture. Definitely expect a lot of excitement and silly remarks as well as my attempts to speak Italian!
Anything else you'd like to say to people reading for the first time?
I truly hope that my journey abroad will encourage you to look into traveling and/or studying abroad. If that curiosity is building in you, don’t ignore it! Life is short, and if you have the opportunity to explore the world, don’t hesitate to take it!
As each new post goes up, we'll share the links below, so bookmark this page:
- Tackling Those Pre-Travel Jitters
- Arriving in Florence: Exploring Our Beautiful Home
- Study Abroad in Florence: We're Definitely Not in California Anymore!
- Why I've Been Speechless Every Morning
- La Costa Amalfitana: Blue Waters
- A Day in the Life of a Study Abroad Student in Florence
- My Global Education: Secret Florence Tour
- Thoughts of a Fellow CAPA Student: An Interview with Diana Gomez
- Carrying Anxiety & Depression Abroad
- Actually Studying When Studying Abroad
- Music, food & Reflection at the CAPA Florence Midterm Dinner
- Il Mio Compleanno A Roma: A Birthday Celebration in Rome
- Embracing Two Volunteer Opportunities in Florence
- Top 10 Struggles of Studying Abroad in Florence
- Homecoming & Reverse Culture Shock