Meet Rikki Li, official CAPA blogger in London for Spring 2016:
- - -
My name is Rikki Li and I’m a junior majoring in English Writing and Psychology at the University of Pittsburgh. This semester, I’m thrilled to be studying (and blogging) in London!
Besides writing, I enjoy extensive doodling, cooking and baking, and investing too much of my time in Marvel superheroes.
I think the notion of international travel has always been nostalgic for me, since the majority of my family lives in China. This led to many childhood summers of 22 hour plane rides, learning and re-learning my ethnic tongue, and coming to terms with the paradoxical discomfort of both belonging and not belonging in a foreign country. I regret not giving those summers more appreciation, as I now find myself missing those quiet, immersive experiences: of sleeping on a bed lined with fragrant bamboo mats, strolling around lotus ponds at dusk, scooping cold watermelon straight out of the rind on hot afternoons. This is why I wanted to study abroad during my college career, both to satisfy my craving for travel, but also to make new memories in a new place.
I can’t say for sure what you’ll find in my blogs yet, but be on the lookout for my exploration of London’s ethnic neighborhoods, hole-in-the-wall locations, and of course, lots and lots of food. One thing’s for sure: my resolution this year is to become a person who truly loves life—who takes it day by day and celebrates it.
Thanks for sticking around!
As each new post goes up, we'll share the links below, so bookmark this page:
- This State of Being: Pre-Departure
- The Interim of Disbelief: On Iceland Stopovers, Arriving in London & CAPA Orientation
- Some Nights: Snapshots of London After Dark
- Plate by Plate: Eating My Way Through London (& Beyond) - Part 1
- With Eyes Wide Open: A Glimpse into London’s Color Palette (A Class Trip)
- Where I Found Home: Celebrating in London's Chinatown
- Wanderlust (Part 1): A Red Eye & Rainy Valentine's Day in Paris
- Plate by Plate: Eating My Way Through London - Part 2 (Camden Market)
- Wanderlust (Part 2): A Revival in Lisbon, Portugal
- When Reality Becomes Fiction: A Case Study at London's V&A Museum
- The Question of Indulgence: Afternoon Tea at Chelsea Harbour Hotel
- A Moment of Silence: For Brussels, For Ankara, For Lahore
- Dinner Under £5: How to Make Vegetarian Tikki Masala
- In What Remains: A Day Trip to Brighton
- Street Art Addendums: One Last Walk through Shoreditch (A My Global Education Event)