Meet Courtney Manning, an official CAPA blogger in London for spring 2017:
University: University of Missouri-Columbia
Major: Convergence Journalism with a minor in Business
Study abroad location: London, England
Internship placement: Index on Censorship
What are you most excited for during your study abroad semester?
I can't wait to actually live in London. I've visited before, but that is very different from completely immersing yourself in the culture for an entire semester. I can't wait to live like a local, not like a tourist.
What are three of your hobbies and interests?
Playing the guitar, running, and painting.
What’s one personal goal you hope to achieve while abroad?
I want to grow as a person. Going to college so far from home (I'm from Georgia) has been my life's greatest adventure up to this point, but I know that living in London for an entire semester will bring so many personal changes that I can't even fathom yet. I want to return to Mizzou a much more cultured and wise person than I was before.
What’s one professional goal you hope to achieve while abroad?
I want to really see what my daily life as a professional journalist could look like. Journalism is such a broad field that I could end up doing a lot of different things, but it would be nice to see what my future job could really entail. I can't wait to learn about journalism as a profession in a hands-on environment instead of just a classroom!
What can we look forward to reading about in your posts?
In my blog posts, I want to include a lot of interesting stuff about daily life in London that most people don't think about - no touristy stuff. I want to discuss and include pictures of cool cultural events, the political climate, and awesome restaurants/art exhibits/etc. that I visit. I don't want to just show pictures of Big Ben and the London Eye; I will being going in depth with daily life and culture there.
Anything else you’d like to say to people watching for the first time?
I'm very interested in politics and the environment, and I'm also a vegan, so those themes will probably run through my blog a lot as they are very important to me!
As each new post goes up, we'll share the links below, so bookmark this page:
- Returning to a Place I Already Know I Love
- After the Touch Down: My First Exploration of the City
- Interning Abroad at the Index on Censorship in London
- Using London as a Classroom: Academics Abroad
- On Being Vegan or Vegetarian in London
- A Day in the Life of a CAPA London Student
- Diversity in the Global City of London
- A Weekend Trip from London: Palma de Mallorca, Spain
- London is a Classroom: Field Trips & My Global Education Events
- A Review of London Theater Productions
- Moments in Marrakesh: Spring Break in Morocco
- On Being Abroad During Hard Times
- The Top 10 Hidden Gems of London
- Living in Camden Town
- The Person I am Because of Study Abroad
- Looking Back at How London Has Changed Me
- My Top 10 Takeaways from a London Study Abroad Experience