Feast on a variety of global and local dishes from Sydney. We're talking everything from burgers to vegetarian-friendly options to desserts...and more! Get ready to salivate as you take a peek inside this comprehensive food guide put together by Lizzy as a result of her semester abroad.
Finally, my favorite topic...FOOD.
When I think of travel, I think of all the beautiful sights to see, people to meet, and yummy, yummy food to EAT! In this blog, I have a list of places that will leave your tastebuds ~tingling~.
Sydney is really the food capital of Australia and has grub to satisfy any food mood or cultural background. My stomach (and my friends) were sad that my phone was the first to eat but happy to wait in order to share with all of you!
Disclaimer: Not the healthiest options were always chosen but certainly the most delicious!
PART I: BURGERS
1. Milky Lane near Bondi Beach
The “Big Poppa” burger
(Wagyu Beef Pattie, Double American Cheese, 12-hr Texas Rubbed Smoked Beef Brisket Braised in ML BBQ Sauce, Crispy Maple Smoked Bacon, Mac & Cheese Pattie, Onion Rings, ML Special Sauce, American Mustard, and ML Ketchup).
2. Burger Point in Wentworth (there’s one in Marsden Park but this new location is closer!)
At this place you can get a side of cheese sauce to DIP your burger and fries in...no such thing as too much cheese.
The “Marvin Glaze” burger
(Double Handcraft beef patty, house pickles, signature burger sauce, doughnut glazed bun topped with grated cheddar and maple bacon bits).
3. Milk Bar by Cafe Ish in Redfern
You can accompany your burger with a donut or a thick milkshake (or both!)—dessert and burgers—the best of both worlds.
The “W.T.F” burger
(2x Angus beef patty, 2x American Cheese, Artisan bacon, hash brown, red onion, pickles,
pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and jalapeno aioli).
4. Bare Grill on Bourke in Surry Hills
They have raclette cheese served hot out of a cheese wheel to add to anything on the menu!
The Miss Piggy burger with an extra beef patty and cheese, duh.
Not pictured but also great for burgers:
- Mary’s in Newtown
- Burger Doctor in Newtown
- Burger Patch in Chatswood
- Mate Burger in Mount Druitt - if you’re out in western Sydney with your mates
- Betty’s Burgers in Manly, Bondi Junction, or Darling Harbour
NOT in Australia, but close to it, in New Zealand: Fergburger
Where they have burgers the size of my face.
PART II: VEGAN/VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY
1. Lentil as Anything in Newtown
Not only is this a great restaurant but it’s also a not-for-profit! You pay a donation for your meal and it’s served by volunteer waitstaff. They have different daily meals every week to choose from and they are delicious with generous portions!
Stuffed sweet potato & tofu stir fry.
2. Nútie Wholefoods & Hole Foods in Surry Hills (and the main one in Balmain)
They are known for their vegan donuts and cakes!
Snickers açaí bowl special that comes with a vegan snickers bar.
3. Sumo Salad with multiple locations like the Broadway Shopping Centre (5 minutes from Urbanest) or the MLC Centre in Martin Place
Pesto chicken & walnut + Japanese miso salmon.
4. Preach Cafe at Bondi Beach
Nutella French Toast & Banana Pancakes.
5. Concrete Jungle Cafe in Chippendale (10 minutes walking from Urbanest, a quick stop walking to or from Central Station)
Summer Nourish Bowl with house made falafel, quinoa tobouli, hemp & kale salad, tomatoes, avocados, and yellow beetroot hummus.
6. Fruitologist in Bondi
Blue Majik bowl.
7. Bare Naked Bowls in Surry Hills, Bronte, Manly
PART III: MISCELLANEOUS FOODIE HEAVEN
1. Beach Burrito Co. at Bondi Beach
The $3 Taco Tuesday’s are a perfect way to end your beach day at Bondi and fill up on dinner before heading home!
2. Drunk Dumpling in Newtown
They have the best dumplings in Sydney IMO. They also have an assortment of dumpling/spring roll options for every astrology sign (that’s how they list their options on the menu).
Honey Chicken and Pork & Chive Dumplings with an array of dipping sauces.
3. Fish 'n' Chips—a staple of Aussie cuisine.
Whether you like em’ beer-battered or panko-breaded, there’s a dish, or rather a paper package, for you! There’s always options for sauces (they charge extra usually wherever you go, even for ketchup); I highly recommend a garlic aioli to dip both the fish and chips in! And something they sometimes add that isn’t as common in the States, chicken salt.
Fish 'n' Chips at Bondi Beach.
Here are some of the best spots:
- Mohr Fish, Surry Hills
- Fish House, Bondi Beach (take it to the beach to eat!)
- Bliss and Chips, Newtown
- Out of the Blue, Coogee
- Fat Fish, Annandale
4. Chinatown in Haymarket
- Eating World
- Noodle King
- Mamak (Malaysian food)
5. Fratelli Fresh
For an Italian meal while in the land down under and $10 pasta lunch deals.
6. It’s Time for Thai in Haymarket
7. Spice Alley in Chippendale
8. Salt Meat Cheese in Ultimo or Circular Quay
All-You-Can-Eat Pizza on Monday nights for $25 per person.
PART IV: CAFES & DESSERT
1. Grumpy Bakery in Waverton
They have fresh breads, pastries, meat pies, and hot/cold drinks. I recommend the the beef sausage roll—warm and hearty with a crispy, light outer layer.
2. Basket Brothers in the center of Sydney
Eggs Benedict & Smoked Brisket Hash.
3. Fork & Grind Cafe (right across from the CAPA building)
4. The Q on Harris Cafe
5. Peanut Butter Bar
With a name like "Peanut Butter Bar", you just gotta give in and get a taste!
6. Cow & the Moon Gelato in Enmore—a must try
Some of the best gelato I’ve ever had (not having been to Italy of course). They have unique, award-winning flavors for everyone’s palate that you can taste-test until you find the one!
I tried Black/Red Currant & Lusty Lemon.
7. Tella Balls Dessert Bar in Dulwich Hill
A must for any Nutella lover—a full selection of Nutella-related dessert options. Their Tim Tam waffle (or crepe or pancakes) is so killer, you’ll need a glass of water to wash it down!
The Tella Tam Waffle.
Lizzy Westermeyer is an official CAPA blogger for spring 2019, sharing her story in weekly posts on CAPA World. A Business Management major at Providence College, she is studying abroad in Sydney this semester.
Lizzy's journey continues all semester so stay tuned.