Even if you're super excited about studying abroad, there are probably many other thoughts running through your head at the same time: how will you make friends; will you have enough money; how does public transportation work; what will your roommates or host family be like? You might also be wondering how to stay safe while you're in your host country or traveling.
Let's start with some common safety tips to observe when traveling to any city:
- Know who to contact in an emergency
- Remembering that there's safety in numbers
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Keep valuables close to you and out of sight
- Decrease your vulnerability by observing and mimicking behavior of locals
- Research the city's neighborhoods in advance so you know if there are any particular areas best avoided
- Only use official transportation
- Keep up with local, national and world news
Continue Reading →
For some more specific tips focused on each CAPA city, we took some time to speak with CAPA's Resident Directors who live in, work in, and have extensive knowledge of each place for their top safety tips to keep in mind.